A brief explanation of the title, Sepiated Spirals - スト-カ-...


    We carry notebooks everywhere in our college lives, with often a different one for each class, so the simple act of writing down our thoughts at the turn of a fresh page is always available.

    Altogether, biology, English, math, come together into a myriad of experiences and ideas throughout the day.

    Old ideas combine with new, and we learn from our sepia-toned past.

    The background image is a sepia-tone shot of interlinked spiral notebooks - the eiptome of Sepiated Spirals.


Friday, August 28, 2009

A long time past.

Wow...It's been a long time since I've written anything here. I'll have to do it more often, now that I'm in college. Yes, I'm in Ephraim at Snow College, studying my butt off.......but not really! This is easy stuff. I have fun. I have free time. I eat food.

I'm in BoM at the Institute, Japanese I, Language in Society, Intro to Writing, Physics, and Intro to Psychology. It's seriously fun. After just the first couple days, I had a pretty general idea of what I wanted to major in: Linguistics. That's "the study of language" for those of you who aren't familiar with it. My Language in Society class is going to be all about how different cultures are shaped by their language. Right now we're talking about the aquisition of language, like how we learn it as a kid (I hesitate to say "learn" because no one really teaches us....we pick it up mostly on our own. It's really interesting). The professor in my Intro to Writing class also touched on that idea -- how we learn to use language. Think about it, when you wake up in the morning, how many possible things could you say when someone says "Good morning."? Now, how many times have you rehearsed saying each of those things? We are masters of our language from the age of two! You can't think that's a dumb thing to be majoring in...

The college life is just great, too. I've wanted to leave home for a LONG time, so this is perfect. The freedom, the independence....it's what I like in life. My roomates are great; Daniel is teaching me to play the guitar, Nathan has funny and snide remarks every now and then (plus, last night, his parents brought him lots of food...boo yah!), Brandon knows what he's talking about, Brian has an inner-child that 'giggles' at things, and the other roomate (I haven't quite learned his name yet -- he moved in a bit later) has good taste in music (minus the hip hop). I'm getting used to them fairly quickly. It's gonna be good.

The only problem right now is money....... Money is going to be the end of me, and possibly my college experience. I applied for Federal Financial Aid, but it has yet to arrive. I haven't paid for any tuition yet, and actually had to strike up a promisary note to get my student ID. If the financial aid doesn't show up before the middle of September, I'll owe a heckload of money that I don't have. On top of that, I need to take out a loan to buy books and take care of the apartment's rent. I'm honestly getting worried. But we'll see how it goes..

I'll write at least on a weekly basis, to catch up on things I've been doing. Sayonara

2 comments:

  1. about time! you were at the bottom of my updates list!

    I'm glad you're enjoying college well enough. its a wonderful thing isn't it? I do think so. Good luck with your financial aid and everything. money is SO stressful. I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your major sounds really interesting. I would love to hear more about that in the future... Good luck with the finances...

    ReplyDelete